We are paddlers. And, we know that each paddler is unique. At Old Creel Canoe & Kayak we use out knowledge and experience to help guide our customers through a process that connect them with boat that fits well, and will help them achieve their paddling goals.
Our boat selection process focuses on matching customers with a high quality boat that is comfortable to paddle, and will be able to be enjoyed for years to come.
To match customers with their perfect kayak or canoe we...
- Offer a wide selection of quality boats to choose from
- Suggest a boat, based their body and their goals, drawing on our experience if they wish
- Fit the paddler in the boat, on the floor in our shop, to ensure comfort
- Offer a Test Paddle, of the boat they are considering just out our front door, with all safety gear, to feel on the water performance
- Repeat as necessary, until we have matched our customer with the perfect boat
- Allow customers to purchase with peace of mind, that they have selected the right boat that will last for years to come.
We also offer our customers:
- Focus on Quality products and a good price, including many Canadian manufacturers
- Knowledge and experience from paddlers to answer your questions
- Kayak fitting expertise
- Service and repairs
- Lessons, including learn to paddle events
- Paddling Trip Shuttle Service
- Car racks, carriers, boxes, and accessories
- Winter storage of your canoe or kayak
We are conveniently located in Waverley, NS, on the historic Shubenacadie Canal, where you can "try before you buy" with on the water demos and rentals of canoes, kayaks and standup paddle boards (SUPs). We share our experience and knowledge to help our customers make informed purchases. Old Creel is an active supporter of community events, and we actively volunteer with community and paddling organizations.
Old Creel Canoe & Kayak is Atlantic Canada's premier paddle sports retail store and automotive rack specialist. Giving you the best service and selection has been our focus since 1998. We love to paddle and want the opportunity to share our passion with you.
Owners – Mike and Krystle Parrott
In June 2019 Mike Parrott eddied out his career to pursue his passion for paddling, and purchased Old Creel Canoe & Kayak. He bought his first canoe from Allan McNaughton at Old Creel in 2009, and in 2019 he decided to buy the business. Allan mentored Mike during the transition, and the business has maintained its focus to supply people with quality paddling and equipment, to keep them active and connect with nature.
Mike took his first canoe course and did a multi day canoe trip with a Scouts group in in Kejimkujik. That love of tripping continues today, especially in the high waters of spring and fall, and is often influenced by fly fishing opportunities. He recently completed his Paddle Canada level 2 Sea Kayaking certification. He knows there are two schools of thought about kayaks, those who want to roll and those who prefer not to tip. Mike has been thankful for the guidance and support of Krystle in Old Creel's journey.
Krystle came to paddling through a love of the outdoors and the desire to immerse herself in the wilderness. She's been at it long enough to have a few stories about bugs, medical emergencies and rivers with low water. Ask her about her paddling journey to becoming a comfortable beginner, who is dipping her paddle into intermediate skill progressions. Krystle is now also working more than full time at OId Creel.
Porter pup, a standard poodle, is as classy as her name suggests, after all she is named after a style of beer. She is the shop dog and can often be seen on a Stand Up Paddle Board or in a Canoe. Her theme song is just her name, sung in style of the Wham! hit Jitterbug! It's the Porter pup! It is with profound sadness that we announce that Porter passed in April 2023 and is now guiding canoes down rapids under the rainbow bridge. 🐾 Her many years of loyal companionship and love will be forever remembered.